Branch # 12 Kamloops
Kamloops with a population of 85,000 lies at the end of the Coquihalla Highway some 200 km north from Hope. The city lies in the Thompson River Valley at the confluence of the North and South Thompson Rivers. Established as a fur trading centre in 1812, it served multiple purposes including a main rail centre for the Canadian Pacific Railway from 1886. The city was incorporated in 1893 and home to 1000 people.
The major industrial support for todays community is agriculture, forestry/wood products & mining. It also provides support and infrastructual support to the copper producer in the Highland Valley to the south.
Kamloops, Canada's Tournament Capital, provides world-class facilities for national and international athletes, while supporting local participation and training programs at every level of competition. Facilities include the Tournament Capital Centre, Pools, Arenas, Fields and Gyms.
- Approximately 80 members (includes 20 musicians)
- Held four times a year at Heritage House, 100 Lorne Street, Riverside Park.
- Practice Sessions: Held on the fourth Sunday of the months from October to April. FMI contact Clark Hiles 250-376-6209.
- Florence Tellier, Secretary-Treasurer - phone # 250-376-2330
- Dances are held the 1st Saturday of each month (October to April) from 7:30-10:00 p.m. at Heritage House, 100 Lorne Street, Riverside Park. Everyone welcome.
- Tuesday afternoon dances at North Shore Community Centre, 730 Cottonwood Avenue on November 18, 2014 & January 20, 2015. Pattern dance instruction from 1:30 to 2:00 PM; dance from 2:00 to 4:00 PM. For more information, call Brian at 250-376-5194.
- Fiddle Workshops will be held at Heritage House from 7:00 to 9:00PM on October 28, November 4, November 18 and November 25, 2014. There is no charge. For further information, contact Jackie at 250-319-3680.
CHRISTMAS DINNER/DANCE @ DESERT GARDENS DECEMBER 6, 2014. $ 40.00 each. CONTACT Jackie at 250-319-3680 for tickets & more info.
- Annual Camp-out jamboree & picnic - Grandview Lodge, June 19, 20 & 21, 2015. For more information, contact Florence Tellier for more information at 250-376-2330.
THE KAMLOOPS BRANCH WILL BE DETERMINING WHETHER THEY WILL HOLD AN OLD TIME FIDDLE CONTEST IN 2015. WATCH THIS WEBSITE FOR FUTURE ANNOUNCEMENTS.
Executive for 2014:
- President - Jackie Davis 250-319-3680
- Vice-President - Clark Hiles
- Secretary-Treasurer - Florence Tellier
- Directors - Bob Lalonde, Marj Labelle, Betty Tasko, Colin Mahoney, & Pat Benson.
- Sunshine--Linda Bremner 778-471-7642.